Re: Music Business Law

Home Forums The Hangout Music Business Law Re: Music Business Law

Avatar of graphite412


Copyright- usually a 50/50 split between the lyricist and composer. Specific rights can be sold or given away in the Bundle of Rights in the copyright law when this happens the owner of the copyright is no longer held by them. Collective Works are a collection of various works. These works include compilation cds like music from the 70′s cd. The copyright(s) must be acquired to make a compilation cd. First Sale Doctrine- only royalties can be acquired by the first sale of a product. This way royalties don’t need to be paid if someone sells used cds/records/etc. 1992 Serial Copy Management System- DAT machines used copy protection. Professional DAT machines had the ability to copy DAT tapes but consumer machines did not. Copyright is given even if the work has not been registered. Registering a copyright basically gives the ability to sue someone.

Arranger- Is the person that orchestrates the song and needs permission to make a derivative work unless the original work is Public Domain. They have no rights to their work if they are not Public Domain.
To register a work for a copyright- first deposit work in the Library of Congress (this cost money) and then register with the US Copyright Office (this cost money).

In the USA the owners of the recording copyright do not get performance royalties only the person(s) who own the music copyright. There have been some changes in recent years especially in Internet broadcast.

The symbol © does not have to be on a work that is copyrighted, it is optional.

Blanket License- Paying a single annual fee that covers all showings or performances of a work.

Factors to making more money on performance royalties-
-Increasing Acceptance of Music
-Increasing efficiency of PROs
-Rising Licensing Fees
-More efficiency of foreign PROs