..
..
..

Confessing Sin


Home Forums Spiritual Discussions Confessing Sin

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of glm glm 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22925
    Avatar of Monster Baby
    Monster Baby
    Participant

    At what point dose sin become neutralized from the human mind body and soul. I know for fact that if I myself do not confess my sin that I will ultimately drown from a bad conscious. I think I may have crossed the line a few times and there are certain things that I know I don’t want to confess to just your average joe. I also know that the bible says to confess your sin to one another. So where dose the confession of sin come into play on sins that your either A. Just too embarrassed to tell. OR B. Might get you into trouble with the law?

    I don’t think I’ve really done anything to get into trouble with the law that I haven’t gotten caught for, however there are a few things I might not want to publicly address.

    All advice is welcomed.

    #36767
    Avatar of Goldenflower
    Goldenflower
    Member

    Hi! The Word says: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). To live with a repentant heart is important because we are sinful man, but God always forgives us. True repentance is a turning away and going into a different direction, which takes more than just confessing, but confessing is the first step. I think it is important for us to confess our sins because, for myself, I have now exposed light to an area of sin in my life which leads to freedom, like the scripture says, “he will purify us from all unrighteousness.” Why keep it in when you can get it out?!

    #36768
    Avatar of Josiah Fingaz
    Josiah Fingaz
    Participant

    I would confess to a minister you are in relationship with or if you don’t have that you can always confess to a trusted friend who is a believer in Christ. If you confess to the law, know that the state of (wherever you are from) is a little more hardnosed and unwilling to forgive with our recompense.

    There are basically two aspects of prayer. Contemplation on the Divine or a contemplation on our short comings, our faults, our unworthiness. We need both. For when we are in despair about our sin we have hope knowing that Christ came to heal mankind of that. Our Father in Heaven is a loving God who wants us to be cured of sin’s sickness. The thing about prayer that some don’t realize is that God already knows what we need before we ask. Does this mean we should not pray? NO! It only means that in proper prayer and reflection we are moved into His will by asking what He has already provided for us. It isn’t that we move God for He is unchangeable, unmovable, not one that He should repent, but are moved ourselves into what He has called us to be.

    If you want healed then you need to confess. Read the last part of James. It’s painful but most of the time our healing does not come without a price or cost. However, a little shame or swallowing of ones pride is a lot cheaper than the alternative.

    #36769
    Avatar of dancebreaker
    dancebreaker
    Member

    @Goldenflower wrote:

    Hi! The Word says: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). To live with a repentant heart is important because we are sinful man, but God always forgives us. True repentance is a turning away and going into a different direction, which takes more than just confessing, but confessing is the first step. I think it is important for us to confess our sins because, for myself, I have now exposed light to an area of sin in my life which leads to freedom, like the scripture says, “he will purify us from all unrighteousness.” Why keep it in when you can get it out?!

    I agree very much with Goldenflower. I just wanted to touch on a few points as well. You don’t have to confess your sins to anyone other than God. He already knows them and has forgiven you before you sinned. He loves you and wants to rid this burden of shame away from you by giving the things you are embarrassed about to Him.

    As far as confessing to others, I believe the bible is just referring to being transparent with your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. It doesn’t mean you have to tell the whole world or even a lot of people, but if you feel it in your heart to share, don’t be shy to be transparent with someone close in Christ with you. We are all sinful and nature and struggle in our own ways. If we keep our deepest hurts and struggles to ourself, and not tell even God about it, then the dark one has us right where he wants. God wants us to walk in “light” and every area we shed truth, even if it’s just to God brings light to that aspect of your life and as Goldenfllower said, the feeling is freeing.

    Love ya Monter Baby

    #36770
    Avatar of dancebreaker
    dancebreaker
    Member

    Praying for you Montster Baby

    #36771
    Avatar of Josiah Fingaz
    Josiah Fingaz
    Participant

    @dancebreaker wrote:

    You don’t have to confess your sins to anyone other than God. He already knows them and has forgiven you before you sinned. He loves you and wants to rid this burden of shame away from you by giving the things you are embarrassed about to Him.

    As far as confessing to others, I believe the bible is just referring to being transparent with your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. It doesn’t mean you have to tell the whole world or even a lot of people, but if you feel it in your heart to share, don’t be shy to be transparent with someone close in Christ with you.

    If you want to subscribe to “Sola Scriptura” confession involves Christians as well, preferably an elder or someone who cares for you spiritually.

    James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

    15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

    16Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

    What happens if you only confess to God is that it becomes a pillow confession. How many times have you cried out for forgiveness in the night only to wake up still chained to the same addictions. When you submit to another fellow christian and confess your sin you are confessing to God. His grace works through the person as you humble yourself. Now your brother/sister is compelled to walk with you through this as well. This is the healing process revealed in the Word of God. And what is Grace? It is many things; forgiveness of sins, spiritual gifts, sacraments, but what more? It is the divinely given power to avoid and conquer sin. And remember that we are “more than conqueror’s” through Christ Jesus.

    If we follow the logic of the Womackian (Andrew Womack) theology since God knows everything then we do not need to ask for forgiveness because it has already been granted. While in a sense it is true, that kind of understanding is foreign to scripture, tradition, and the Christianity that Jesus and the Apostles taught and has been passed down from age to age. This type of thinking is the same kind of thinking that helped form the Calvinist version of predestination. People get the forknowledge of God, his soverienty, and our free will all jacked up. Thomas Aquinas has an awesome writing on contemplative prayer that touches these things. It is not light reading but if you want to get strong in your faith you will have to challenge yourself. Do not rely on TBN to spoon feed you a milk toast christianity.

    It is best to follow C.S. Lewis’s advice…

    Only allow yourself to read one new book to every three old books you read.

    #36772
    Avatar of glm
    glm
    Member

    @Josiah Fingaz wrote:

    What happens if you only confess to God is that it becomes a pillow confession. How many times have you cried out for forgiveness in the night only to wake up still chained to the same addictions. When you submit to another fellow christian and confess your sin you are confessing to God. His grace works through the person as you humble yourself. Now your brother/sister is compelled to walk with you through this as well.

    HUGE point there! As one who has come from a history of addiction, confessing only to God does little to encourage and help you overcome the power of the addiction. Sin–especially habitual or addictive sin–is at it’s heart an issue of pride: I want more than I want to please God. *I* come first. It’s easy to look up at the ceiling and say “I’m sorry, God. Please forgive me.” However, if you confess to another person, you have to look them in the eye, humble yourself, and admit your wrongdoing. The humbling is key.

    That said, choose carefully who you confess to. If you’re fighting an addiction, confessing to another, unrecovered addict is a very bad choice. You’ll most likely find yourself simply having someone else to help you rationalize and minimize your sin. But you should find someone that can relate on some level. I once confessed my addictive behavior to someone who had no experience with addiction and thought that addicts of any sort were just wusses who needed to suck it up and work harder. That didn’t go so well, and I never repeated that mistake.

    Transparency with a fellow Christian also is a wonderful reason to confess our sins to one another. There’s nothing more freeing and burden-lifting in a human relationship than having someone who knows the worst about you and loves you anyway. It also helps you care less about what people think of you in general.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.