..
..
..

Guidelines for a christian electronic artist and DJ


Home Forums Electronic Dance Music Guidelines for a christian electronic artist and DJ

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of graphite412 graphite412 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22508
    Avatar of technochrist
    technochrist
    Member

    I just spent the evening surfing around. Looking at the artists, listening to theirs sounds. Looking for the message. Hmmm. Some seem okay, but a lot others.. dont you care about?? you say “hey sounds good” welcome to the club..

    Guys, you know. without some jesus message.. artists are definitly not christian producers or christian DJ. we are not searhcing for some happy vibes, nice videos and as christian we are not happy if some life philosophy is carried in music. if artists do that, they are just some artists.

    i hereby claim that christian artists should obey guidelines like:

    mwam-records Guidelines for a christian electronic artist and DJ:

    1. first have a website at facebook / myspace / internet with clear statement of what you think about christ, what is your church and why you follow jesus

    2. second have a hearable message in your music that worships god or tells about christ and things similiar like that. just something is nothing

    3. third have a lifestyle of discipleship and love that worships god and brings honour to jesus christ. be member of a church. stay in prayer and read bible.

    4. forth you should cooperate with the body of christ, that also means to support other christian artists, labels, events and churches.

    5. fifth you should always love, talk good, but do not forget that jesus gave us some rules how to live and how to build his kingdom and how not.

    a christian artist is a christian artist if he has some christian message in the music. also a christian DJ is then a christian DJ if he plays music with christian message.

    The bible says in Matthew 7,13-14: Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

    I think we will have an interessting discussion now..

    #35198
    Avatar of frogb0tter
    frogb0tter
    Member

    Good to see you running around checking out the community bro. Glad to have you here!

    First of all:

    I strongly agree with you! I’m not producing any music yet, so I don’t have any audio on this site myself. But when I do get around to lacing this place with phat tracks (LORD willing) I intend to have a clear indication of Christian message on almost EVERY song I do, unless it’s really called for that it be 100% instrumental (a possibility for intro tracks, outro tracks, etc.). Even on a song that is essentially fully instrumental, I intend to throw at least one sample in there that exalts Christ. You know, like those Trance songs that just have one word or phrase in them only? Something like:

    *Buildup* bitta-bitta-bitta-bitta-bitta-bitta-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-beeeeeeeeeeehhh…

    *Breakdown* POWWWW….. CHRIST – IS – LORRRRD.

    *Back to it!* Budda-buh-budda!-budda-buh-budda!

    You get my drift.

    I’m in complete agreement with you- as artists, we have a responsibility to exalt Christ, preach the Gospel, and lift up his name. If we don’t do that, we are just making secular uplifting trance, EDM, etc. If we are just like the world, that is bad! We are set apart, and it should show.

    However, as an important note, I *DO* feel it is completely possible to make Christ exalting instrumental music with no vocals. Think of instrumental worship music played in churches before/after the message. It is intended to be soothing/uplifting, allow you time to reflect on GOD’s glory, pray, and worship. There might not be vocals, they might not state a Christian message verbally. Another good example, there is a piano composer named David M. Combs that will take chapters or passages from the Bible, and put a fully instrumental song to it. He might have a song named “Exodus 23:10″ for example, fully instrumental, written as a moving piece of music to accompany that scripture reading, and/or fully inspired by it. It might not shout-out Christ by name, but it is definitely still Christian music IMO.

    Furthermore, there are definitely artists on this site with prolific usage of Christ exalting messages in their music, so know that. Science Drop and graphite412 both come to mind, and you can check both of them out for free. If you sign up for Science Drop’s newsletter on his website you can get a couple of his free mixes, and all of graphite412′s songs are available free on his website. Both those artists have consistently Christ-exalting music from what I’ve heard. I’m not trying to exclude other GOD’sDjs artist’s when I say that, those are just the first two that came to mind that you can check out for free. When I first came to this community I was actually really worried that it was only going to be filled with so-called corporate Christian’s who didn’t really exalt Christ. Science Drop’s mix was the first thing I heard, and I was instantly comforted.

    Second of all:

    I appreciate and respect your decision to post this and speak boldly against a very real issue for Christian musicians. Do be careful with how you present your argument however. I suspect there will be a few people who have a problem with the “tone” of your post, and the demand-form presentation. Especially from someone brand new to the forums, you won’t garner a lot of respect by cramming your ideas down anyone’s throat. I do recognize you’re a native German (I think?) and therefore there are social and language differences to consider. Nevertheless, your post is on the aggressive side- particularly the last line may be taken as “flamebait” or looking to incite an argument. Just looking out for you, and especially because the bottom line is that I really do want your message here to be heard and taken into careful consideration by EVERYONE. Respeck.

    My only actual gripe with your post is the bizarre specificity in your “list of demands,” so to speak. No one should be discounted as a Christian artist just because they don’t have a facebook or website, for example. Knowhaddimean?

    Just my two cents as one of this community’s non-producers.

    #35199
    Avatar of graphite412
    graphite412
    Participant

    I would also agree that it is possible to make Christian worship music without vocals. There were instrument players in the Old Testament and they worshiped God with their instrument even though they weren’t singing. I do agree that our songs should include a Christian message though, but sometimes it is cool to have music without any text. For example, if I wanted to have an ambient track without lyrics so I could sing over the top of it when I pray, or something like that.

    #35200
    Avatar of graphite412
    graphite412
    Participant

    also for all of us that have our own domain names and web sites, I would recommend putting up a gospel message. I thought of putting up songs, bio, and all that jazz but some months later I realized that I could post a gospel message. So if you don’t have a salvation/gospel message on your page try posting one!!!! :mrgreen:

    #35201
    Avatar of technochrist
    technochrist
    Member

    Thank you for your good feedback. Yes I am native german :) I just saw that a guy called “Triple Y” said he is christian and makes christian EDM. I listened carefully to his track “color of the night” and others. I think I understand it. But this track and others have definitely NOT christian content. So I am against pushing those tracks and DJs here. Our consumers who asks for christian EDM should get a clear statement of what is going on.
    I am sorry when things I mentioned were to sharp. It is a guideline, not the full wisdom. You know what I mean? I am not perfect myself. I just want to start DJs and producers think about what they do. Look. If I do secular productions and I definitely can do that and it will be played in the german clubs easily. I will never call it christian and I will use another artist name. Get me? As I use christian vocals and I really like and want to do it than people will hear it and sometimes there is discussion. But as I do a good artist job they let me play christian message music. We really need a guide what is our all aim. And guys, sorry, I totally disagree with calling instrumental music christian music. It is just instrumental. No one will know why it is christian. You can use instrumental music in your performances of course and you can worship good, like they do in our church with guitars. But music that is used for worship must not be christian music. You know, at 24/7 prayer they used firestarter to exalt god. we are firestarters, of course! I am sorry that I dont know all lyrics of all songs.

    It would be good to have the following threads here in the forum:

    mainthread: christian artist name
    – graphite412
    —-tracks


    exapmle: jesus is lord: description and lyrics


    example: i really love to worship remix and lyrics
    —-statement: i am christ because..
    —- description:


    style


    DJ, liveact, producer
    – dj-onix-brasil
    —-tracks
    —-statement
    – technochrist
    —-tracks
    —-statement
    – others

    if we do this we will have a good overview about artists, their statements and their songs.

    what do you think about?

    #35202
    Avatar of frogb0tter
    frogb0tter
    Member

    @technochrist wrote:

    Look. If I do secular productions and I definitely can do that and it will be played in the german clubs easily. I will never call it christian and I will use another artist name. Get me?

    Yeah! Totally.

    @technochrist wrote:

    And guys, sorry, I totally disagree with calling instrumental music christian music. It is just instrumental.

    Yeah, I just don’t think all instrumental music is inherently “inert” or “spirit neutral.” I think you can make instrumental music that is satanic, and also instrumental music that is Christian. Music is essentially like a language, and it is very expressive. So I feel you could make instrumental music that is fueled by hate, conveys anger and hatred, etc., and with satanic intent. Just like I think you could make an instrumental designed to convey the full story of the Israelite’s exodus, through music, with a fully Christian intent. I do agree that it is harder to discern the intent of instrumental songs though. That is why I would feel okay listening to an instrumental by a confirmed-Christian artist because their intent is Christian. Instrumentals by artists you’re not too familiar with would take some discernment.

    @technochrist wrote:

    You know, at 24/7 prayer they used firestarter to exalt god. we are firestarters, of course!

    By The Prodigy? That’s pretty funny. I can’t picture that. =P

    @technochrist wrote:

    It would be good to have the following threads here in the forum:

    mainthread: christian artist name
    – graphite412
    —-tracks


    exapmle: jesus is lord: description and lyrics


    example: i really love to worship remix and lyrics
    —-statement: i am christ because..
    —- description:


    style


    DJ, liveact, producer
    – dj-onix-brasil
    —-tracks
    —-statement
    – technochrist
    —-tracks
    —-statement
    – others

    if we do this we will have a good overview about artists, their statements and their songs.

    what do you think about?

    Yeah! That sounds awesome. Like an artist profile board. We could put it here on the forums and also on CDM.net. If I were already producing music I would totally put together a profile. : D

    #35203
    Avatar of dj lil pete
    dj lil pete
    Member

    I would like to share a few of my thoughts on your topic.
    First,
    I would like to mention that I am proud of the fact that God has taken me down an interesting path. His plan for you is better than your plan for you. Now that I am a Christian I see things a little different. It is because I know now where my path will end, with Our Savior.

    With that in mind I would like to share with you a bit of my past. I have been Playing Music since 1984, my instrument, Turntables. I truly believe the next 26 years of “Living the Life” were hard lessons learned that were ment to be shared. Believe me I was LOST. If you would have told me 4 years ago I would be going to Church 2 times a week and joining Mens Bible Study groups I would have thrown you off a building.

    In 2008 I walked away from DJing and all it has to offer to get right with GOD. Well guess who is tugging at my heart to go back. GOD. But this time it has to be all for him.

    So I begin this search for Christian Dance, DnB, House, Trance call it what you like. Godsdjs comes up in a search, a few more clicks and I am in. Cool, I found what I am looking for, or have I…….

    As I listen I am looking for a message, any message to glorify GOD. It’s there but not as clear as I would expect it to be coming from a web site called godsdjs. I would like to acknowledge the fact that you are addressing a touchy subject.

    I think we should take it upon ourselves as Professionals to spread the Word of the Lord with honor and respect. I was shocked to see explicit usernames trying to contact me within minutes of signing on for the first time. I know you cant monitor every angle of this site, please forgive me if it appears as though I am accusing anyone to be at fault. That is not the intent of this message.

    I think what you guys are doing for God is great and I will continue to support your cause. I also think there needs to be some type of guidlines. Regardless of the limitations you put in place, there will always be those who will not follow and fail to see the bigger picture. So we as followers of Christ need to stay on the path as we walk with God.

    Lil Pete

    #35204
    Avatar of frogb0tter
    frogb0tter
    Member

    ^

    Amen, amen, amen.

    Welcome to the site bro, and thank you for adding your thoughts. As you might have read, I’m not a producer, but I intend to be. I think that this is a very important thread and I hope that everyone takes it into careful consideration. When I DO start making real music (LORD willing) I fully intend to have a clear Christian message in each track, even if it is only as short as one sample per song.

    I feel that I owe that to my fellowsoldiers who just want to listen to spiritually edifying Christian music ONLY. It is too often way too hard, or takes way too long to discern if an artist really IS making Christian music or not. When the time comes, I don’t want my music to be that way.

    As far as explicit usernames, I’ve been very active on the site for one month and honestly can’t think of a single one. I could be wrong though, maybe my blinders are on.

    I agree that the site would be improved by putting artist guidelines in place addressing the necessity of a clear and consistent Christ-exalting message. The fact that two new-members have come in seeing the consistency of the message as lacking should make us all stop and think. As Christians, we need to be able to examine ourselves sharply, always. To the outside unbelieving world looking in on our community, we should clearly look and sound like Christian artists. To the outside believers-in-Christ looking into our community, we should look and sound like Christian artists. This is so, so important. In fact, as Christian artists, it is the most important thing for us.

    Again, I hope I don’t upset anyone by giving my views, as I haven’t even contributed any music yet. But I have been practicing and working toward it (I swear!), and my friend just pushed me hard tonight to submit at least one song for Manic’s BlessFest event in October. So I do consider myself part of the artist community here in that sense.

    May the LORD bless us in this important point of discussion, I am going to be putting this issue in prayer, and I hope you all do the same.

    God bless.

    #35205
    Avatar of graphite412
    graphite412
    Participant

    @dj lil pete wrote:

    I think we should take it upon ourselves as Professionals to spread the Word of the Lord with honor and respect. I was shocked to see explicit usernames trying to contact me within minutes of signing on for the first time. I know you cant monitor every angle of this site, please forgive me if it appears as though I am accusing anyone to be at fault. That is not the intent of this message.
    Lil Pete

    I assume that you were using the chat? This is a third party chat embedded in the web site. Other people from chatango can get on and chat with you and send you messages. I have had this problem in the past and I normally block people trying to spam to solicit things. You should not run into what you mentioned on the forums. I know of no username that is offensive in my year of being a part of this community. Also if someone starts attacking you on the chat from Chatango, you can always try to give out the gospel :D

    So I hope that you are blessed by the stuff on this site and come into contact with other brothers and sisters in the Lord.

    #35206
    Avatar of graphite412
    graphite412
    Participant

    ya, I can say that sometimes I get carried away with stuff in humor and such that can be considered vain or stupid, but I should put those things away. Instead I should focus on posting edifying stuff, not just stuff to waste time. Thanks for all your input guys, it is edifying in the Spirit!!! Sometimes I can get carried away with posts because it’s not idle chatter per say, but it is basically the same thing. So sometimes I lose sight that I should probably not post certain things because they don’t edify. It is also cool that you guys are here and willing to talk about the Lord. Most of my friends have moved away and are no longer in the area. The only fellowship I have with people my age, is on this site or skype.

    So it is encouraging to have fellowship here. God bless you brothers and sisters;you guys/gals are awesome brothers/sisters in the Lord!

    #35207
    Avatar of technochrist
    technochrist
    Member

    I really thank you all for good discussion and contribution. I wish you good times with god and that he shows you what he personally has for you prepared :-)

    For me I want to do the following things with you and for you and also for all lovers of christian electronic music, that you also call christian dance music.

    1. With technochrist I want to produce as much best quality electro, hardstyle, house.. with hearable christian messages as possible.

    2. I want to integrate every talented music producers in the work of technochrist. You can make a remix and if it is good you will be distributed worldwide. Maybe you let me be that player to have a good coordination with a professional label system behind.

    3. With my label mwam-records I want to support any christian electronic music producers with a clear message. I have knowledge about professional distribution and quality to provide gentle christian messages worldwide to any store. Beatport will follow soon.

    4. I am going to deliver the songs of technochrist and mwam-records to any christian DJ for FREE who tells me he wants this music with clear message.

    5. I want to have friendship with you all, DJs, producers, clubbers.

    6. I am open for any further suggestions.

    Its all for Jesus and for the people who are hungry for more.

    #35208
    Avatar of graphite412
    graphite412
    Participant

    If I was to do a remix of your song, would you allow me to host my remix on my website for free if you still got a copy to put up in the stores? This way the people that I know would get my tracks but you could still sell it to get money to fund your studio.

    #35209
    Avatar of dj lil pete
    dj lil pete
    Member

    technochrist or anyother Producer or DJ,

    If you got the tracks I would love copies. I need a good collection of CHRISTIAN music. I have a vison of spining an all Christian set to spread the word. God is opening doors for me, I just need to figure out the path he has set for me. If you know of a youth ministry or any minisrty that could use Mixtapes (I think I can call it that? it sounds old school, then again so am I) or a live DJ to Mix, Scratch, Host could you let me know. It might sound crazy but thats the message god has send me. I am in Vegas and travel back and forth to Southern California (Ventura County) regularly if anyone knows of a ministry that I might be able to work with in these areas could you let me know.

    djlilpete2003@yahoo.com

    On a side note

    I would like to thank my fellow “brothers in the mix” for allowing me to be a part of a group where men like me can share our talents with eachother and GOD. This site has truly blessed me.

    Thanks fellas!

    Lil Pete

    #35210

    Rodimus
    Keymaster

    technochrist, (welcome aboard btw)

    this is a good thread you’ve started and I would say that we agree with most of your comments accept for one.

    ALL MUSIC made for worship is “CHRISTIAN”. I guess you could called it Christian even though there really isn’t such a thing as Christian music. Did you kow that prior to 1950-60′s the term Christian Music didn’t even exist!

    There’s no way a song can be saved. However you can make music as a form of worship (with or without vocals) and it still brings glory to the Lord.

    To say a song must have vocals to be Christian is totally wrong.

    What if you’re a person who can’t speak or sing but the Lord has given you a talent for composing music and placed it on your heart to compose beautiful melodies as a form of praise…

    Do you really believe that God will reject your music because there’s no words to it?

    The Bible is very clear that we can praise the Lord in “all that we do” not just in words of a song even though that is one way we can worship.

    #35211

    As I walk through life I have life experiences. Those experiences inspire me to make music that reflects what I am going through at the moment. It can be the moment of worship, a story, a painful experience I want to share or a joyful moment. The story can be expressed through a song that has words or through a collection of sounds called music. Although I understand you desire to have more music that contains scripture or worship lyrics it shouldn’t be a requirement for an artist to be called Christian. An artist is a Christian if he is filled with the Holy Spirit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.