Sword drill! (Practice your scripture recall :D)
August 4, 2010 at 6:57 am #22437
Hey guys, there’s something I’ve seen online called a “Sword drill.” For the Christian, our sword is the Holy Bible of course!
The basic idea is to create a string of scripture that is all somehow interrelated, making relatively cohesive transitions from one verse to the next. The verses can come from any book in the bible, Old Testament or New Testament. Usually this is done by only one person as a sort of interwoven scripture project, but I thought it would be really fun if everyone on the boards chimes in and we can all post off of each other!
So here’s a chance to “sharpen your blades” and improve scripture recall. ^^
GOD’S DJs INAUGURAL SWORD DRILL!
- Your post must relate to the post immediately above yours, no back logging! This should form one cohesive line of scripture that could be followed from start to finish.
- Post a verse that connects to the above verse in *any* way! It could be similar doctrinally, it could be a parallel passage, it might even be simply grammatically fitting as a transition to a new idea. Anything that you think is apropos or “feels right” totally works.
- The better the grammatical transitions, the better the whole thing reads, so mega bonus points for that.
- Keep it to one verse, or link some adjacent verses together. Don’t split scripture from different parts just to force something. This should be relatively organic!
- example Sword drill if you’re lost (it reads straight through as though one connected passage of scripture):
- Can’t post responses off of yourself, and keep tea parties to a minimum (I’m looking at you graphite412 )
So I’ll kick it off with a fun one for our group…
Psa 33:2 Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery [and] an instrument of ten strings.
Psa 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.August 4, 2010 at 1:14 pm #34873
1 Praise the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.August 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm #34874
1 Praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD from the heavens,
praise him in the heights above.
2 Praise him, all his angels,
praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
3 Praise him, sun and moon,
praise him, all you shining stars.
4 Praise him, you highest heavens
and you waters above the skies.
5 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for he commanded and they were created.
6 He set them in place for ever and ever;
he gave a decree that will never pass away.
7 Praise the LORD from the earth,
you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,
8 lightning and hail, snow and clouds,
stormy winds that do his bidding,
9 you mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars,
10 wild animals and all cattle,
small creatures and flying birds,
11 kings of the earth and all nations,
you princes and all rulers on earth,
12 young men and maidens,
old men and children.
13 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for his name alone is exalted;
his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.
14 He has raised up for his people a horn,
the praise of all his saints,
of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Praise the LORD.August 4, 2010 at 7:51 pm #34872
Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.August 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm #34875
We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19August 8, 2010 at 7:06 am #34876
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.August 8, 2010 at 7:11 am #34877
Speaking of the wicked Asaph pens:
Psa 73:18 Surely, You will set their feet in slippery places; You will make them fall into ruin.
Psa 73:19 How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away with terrors!
I need to understand this. How my prayers for the lost would be different!!!!August 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm #34878
Pro 16:4 The LORD hath made all [things] for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.