..
..
..

The new intro is awesome!


Home Forums The Hangout The new intro is awesome!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of djdunamis djdunamis 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22081

    Rodimus
    Keymaster

    doh! you beat me to the post! i just put up today because before people were getting to our news site and not knowing what to click on and then leaving. now its very easy to navigate, very detailed, clean and simple. plus i have special tracking setup so that i can tell when a person goes from the main site to each of the other sites. that way i can know how many of our first time visitors are making it to a destination and how long they are staying.

    it should drive up forum sign ups and sales on the store!

    i would like everyone to test it out please and let me know if you find any bugs :D

    #33819
    Avatar of djfezzik
    djfezzik
    Member

    From the main splash page, after I click on one of the site selector links, I go to that page and the video guy starts talking again.. it looks like a website user should be able to click the other round links that are now on the left-side because they behave like a menu (pointy finger and rollovers), but they are blocked… I get a dinging sound.. i also have to wait for the video to be loaded before the “return to main site navigation” link appears, and even then it is small enough to be missed. I’m sort of like a web power-user, and I got lost, so safe to say the navigation experience is a bit off in this format..

    good job by the way.. its just a bit BETA-ish right now!

    #33820
    Avatar of glm
    glm
    Member

    What to say…. What to say…. :?

    I will definitely be adding a bookmark that goes directly to the forum page rather than going to godsdjs.com and navigating from there. I’m on a good, high-speed connection, and I had to wait 10 seconds for the menu to appear and then wait 17 more seconds for the video to load before I could click on anything in the menu to get where I wanted to go.

    I think the wait is going to drive away the casual visitor. Can the video be streamed or something so that the menu is accessible without having to wait for the entire welcome video to download? The forum description page is better because I can click the “BROWSE FORUM & CHAT” button without having to wait on the video.

    Also, an option to mute the audio would be nice.

    Last thing I’ll say: Don’t loop the video on the home page. Just play it once. Sites that loop things like that seem sales-pitchy to me.

    On the positive side, I am glad that the intro video didn’t come up again when I clicked “RETURN TO MAIN SITE SELECTOR”.

    #33821

    Rodimus
    Keymaster

    @djfezzik wrote:

    From the main splash page, after I click on one of the site selector links, I go to that page and the video guy starts talking again.. it looks like a website user should be able to click the other round links that are now on the left-side because they behave like a menu (pointy finger and rollovers), but they are blocked… I get a dinging sound.. i also have to wait for the video to be loaded before the “return to main site navigation” link appears, and even then it is small enough to be missed. I’m sort of like a web power-user, and I got lost, so safe to say the navigation experience is a bit off in this format..

    good job by the way.. its just a bit BETA-ish right now!

    hey man thanks for the feedback.

    here’s the thing…if you goto a section then leave it before the video finishes loading it starts playing what little bit of the video downloaded in the background and loops forever. its an issue with action script and the only way to fix it is to FORCE people to watch the video at least once. plus I want people to watch the video(s) at least once.

    also remember this isn’t ever meant to be used by Godsdjs members. this is meant for the first time visitor. its meant to be a simple and informative tool to get them plugged into our different sites. the main page gets 500+ unique visitors a day and before only about 40 of them made it through to the other sites.

    today since ive put up the lander 75 people have hit it and 68 of them have made it through to a secondary site!

    #33822

    Rodimus
    Keymaster

    @glm wrote:

    What to say…. What to say…. :?

    I will definitely be adding a bookmark that goes directly to the forum page rather than going to godsdjs.com and navigating from there. I’m on a good, high-speed connection, and I had to wait 10 seconds for the menu to appear and then wait 17 more seconds for the video to load before I could click on anything in the menu to get where I wanted to go.

    I think the wait is going to drive away the casual visitor. Can the video be streamed or something so that the menu is accessible without having to wait for the entire welcome video to download? The forum description page is better because I can click the “BROWSE FORUM & CHAT” button without having to wait on the video.

    Also, an option to mute the audio would be nice.

    Last thing I’ll say: Don’t loop the video on the home page. Just play it once. Sites that loop things like that seem sales-pitchy to me.

    On the positive side, I am glad that the intro video didn’t come up again when I clicked “RETURN TO MAIN SITE SELECTOR”.

    ok most of what you commented about i addressed in the previous post so i wont repeat but on the other things…

    -as to your bookmark comment… yes please bookmark the forum. the main godsdjs.com landing page is NOT for members its for first time visitors that have no idea who we are or what we are doing. also its much easier to tell your friend about our site by saying “yea goto the Godsdjs forum by going to Godsdjs.com and clicking on the Forum icon”…instead of “goto http://www.godsdjs.com/forum and click the register link at the top…” :lol:

    -yes a mute / vol control is going to be added (hopefully today)

    -its suppose to be sales pitchy! how else is the first time visitor and EDM newb going to know anything about us? also, the only video that loops is the intro and thats to “encourage” you to click on something.

    -as for the loading issue… everything is streaming with download progress meters and the intro video is onl 1.8 MB so on any connection dsl and higher that should load in 5-6 secs at the most. on my connection at home i only have 6mb/s and it loads in about 4 secs.

    …ok hope i answered / addressed everything :D

    #33823
    Avatar of glm
    glm
    Member

    I can try it at home, but here at the college, it’s consistently taking around 17 seconds for the intro video to download.

    In the video on the “MP3 Download Portal” page, over your head, the text says “320KPBS“.

    #33824

    Rodimus
    Keymaster

    @glm wrote:

    I can try it at home, but here at the college, it’s consistently taking around 17 seconds for the intro video to download.

    In the video on the “MP3 Download Portal” page, over your head, the text says “320KPBS“.

    yup lol…that was a typo :lol: on my list of things to fix. thanks for looking at the details though!

    I’m SURE there are more spelling errors so please feel free to point them out if found.

    #33825
    Avatar of djellipse
    djellipse
    Member

    yet one more thing i cant look at yet… BOO!!! interwebfail of epic proportion >_<

    #33826
    Avatar of glm
    glm
    Member

    @djellipse wrote:

    yet one more thing i cant look at yet… BOO!!! interwebfail of epic proportion >_<

    Don’t feel too bad, Shelby. 40% of U.S. Internet users are right there with ya. ;)

    #33827

    Rodimus
    Keymaster

    shelb has high-speed…just not in afganastan. :o

    also, since day 1 dial-up users haven’t been able to visit any of our sites at all and that hasn’t seemd to impead our growth. all of my sites ive ever made have been broadband only and i dont get any complaints.

    you know…if that survey is correct then 40% of the US have never been on Youtube, Facebook, Myspace, Hulu, or any TV networks sites…

    just some food for thought.

    #33828
    Avatar of glm
    glm
    Member

    Eh, just pokin’ fun. I know the internetz is largely catering to the broadband crowd. Though, I wouldn’t go so far as to say that dial-up users have never been to the sites you listened. They just have to be more patient. :lol:

    Looking at it more seriously…. Obviously, greater bandwidth opens up capabilities that just are not possible on dial-up. However, part of me wonders whether the web’s not headed down a path similar to that of a lot of modern desktop software. When disk space, CPU power, and RAM got high on consumer PCs, many programmers cared much less about the efficiency of their code.

    #33829

    Rodimus
    Keymaster

    ya thats probably a valid observation. but with Googles new 1GB / sec internet service coming out next month I think its only going to be another few years or so until connection speed isn’t even an issue for any size of site. People will be making full 1080p HD interactive flash sites that are like 1-2 Gigs and no one will bat an eye :D

    then comes the virtual reality and the cyborgs but we are a little ways from that :lol:

    #33830
    Avatar of djdunamis
    djdunamis
    Participant

    @djrodimus wrote:

    then comes the virtual reality and the cyborgs but we are a little ways from that :lol:

    nah, 2012 will get us :lol:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.