..
..
..

Undignified – David Crowder Question…


Home Forums Electronic Dance Music Undignified – David Crowder Question…

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of djsaltyflavor djsaltyflavor 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #21159

    I recorded my friend Sterling Allen singing Undignified by David Crowder. I recorded it and the arranged it and mixed and wrote all the other parts in reason and arranged in Live with a dance twist to it.

    Can I put that on a CD and sell it or how do I give proper permissions for something like that? Do I need David Crowder’s permission?

    Let me know what you guys know.

    Thanks.

    #29774
    Avatar of Alejandro Cesar
    Anonymous

    Hi SaltyFlavor,

    yes, you need the permission from the owner of the song, I would not recomend to sell a remix withuot the legal rights to do it, cloud be a problem.

    Bendiciones

    #29775
    Avatar of djdunamis
    djdunamis
    Participant

    If its still using the lyrics and tune, its still under copyright. Also David Crowder wouldn’t be the one to contact, Matt Redman would be since he wrote it. I think its under Kingsway’s Thank you Music as far as copyright is concerned.

    #29776
    Avatar of Digital Aura
    Digital Aura
    Member


    a musical work is copyrighted
    if its author is still living, or if the author
    died less than 50 years ago. If more than one author
    created the work, copyright extends until 50
    years after the death of the last surviving author. In
    the language of copyright, “author” means both
    the composer of the music and the lyricist.
    If more than 50 years have elapsed, the work is
    said to be “in the public domain”.

    That said, I do believe you’ll have an easier time of getting permission, because you are not needing a ‘mechanical license’ which means that you aren’t asking to use the actual ‘original’ recordings of Crowder or Redman. I tried to get mechanical licenses from 8 different Christian artists recently and I never even got a reply back from anyone. Not even one. Not even a ‘no way!’. :(

    #29777

    @Digital Aura wrote:

    That said, I do believe you’ll have an easier time of getting permission, because you are not needing a ‘mechanical license’ which means that you aren’t asking to use the actual ‘original’ recordings of Crowder or Redman. I tried to get mechanical licenses from 8 different Christian artists recently and I never even got a reply back from anyone. Not even one. Not even a ‘no way!’. :(

    Digital Aura is that why you offered all your remixes as a free download?? Because you couldn’t get permission from any of the Christian artists?

    Hmmmm so who did write Undignified Matt Redman or David Crowder?

    I e-mailed them both asking for permission. Hopefully one will tell me.

    Alright well in the meantime I guess I will take that song off my CD.

    Thanks guys.

    p.s. what is the best way to go about contacting an artist for permission to use a song like that?

    #29778

    diepsloot
    Participant

    What a valuable Topic to discuss and dig into!

    #29779
    Avatar of djdunamis
    djdunamis
    Participant

    @djsaltyflavor wrote:

    Hmmmm so who did write Undignified Matt Redman or David Crowder?

    I e-mailed them both asking for permission. Hopefully one will tell me.

    already said it, Matt Redman. It is copyrighted in 1995 around the time he wrote it. David Crowder didn’t release his version until 2002 on his album “Can You Hear Us Now” Even DCB gives Matt credit on their chord chart, http://www.davidcrowderband.com/recordings/chords-cyhu/undignified.htm

    #29773
    Avatar of Digital Aura
    Digital Aura
    Member

    Yeah, Salty. Even offering it for free doesn’t ‘exempt’ me from copyright infringement if someone wanted to sue me. I weighed this with the fact that I tried to get permission and wrote to each of them in turn and STILL heard not a word from anyone… chances are they wouldn’t notice if I went ahead anyways. :roll:

    yeah… i’m jaded.

    #29780

    Well I found a place where I could purchase a license to use the music through a website off of ASCAP. So I guess I am going to do that. Thanks.

    #29781
    Avatar of Digital Aura
    Digital Aura
    Member

    If you don’t mind my asking, how much did this cost? And.. did they allow you to use it commercially? (You can pm me if you’d rather).

    Cheers. :o

    #29782

    @Digital Aura wrote:

    If you don’t mind my asking, how much did this cost? And.. did they allow you to use it commercially? (You can pm me if you’d rather).

    Cheers. :o

    Hey Digital Aura,

    It was like .12 cents per copy for a mechanical license and I said I would press 250 copies so that’s about $30. But that just for the physical CD. I am also looking into what it costs to license 1000 downloads of it.

    From Matt

    #29783

    @djdunamis wrote:

    @djsaltyflavor wrote:
    Hmmmm so who did write Undignified Matt Redman or David Crowder?

    I e-mailed them both asking for permission. Hopefully one will tell me.

    already said it, Matt Redman. It is copyrighted in 1995 around the time he wrote it. David Crowder didn’t release his version until 2002 on his album “Can You Hear Us Now” Even DCB gives Matt credit on their chord chart, http://www.davidcrowderband.com/recordings/chords-cyhu/undignified.htm

    Cool yeah when I went to go license it it was under Matt Reman’s name.

    Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.