..
..
..

Your thoughts on Christian lyrics


Home Forums Spiritual Discussions Your thoughts on Christian lyrics

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Josiah Fingaz Josiah Fingaz 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #23652
    Avatar of 7sound.org
    7sound.org
    Participant

    I would like to start a discussion by asking everyone on here what their views are regarding lyrics in Christian music, and the message contained therein.

    Are lyrics necessary to convey the message of Christianity? or can an instrumental only track be considered “Christian”, just because it was made by a Christian??

    What about lyrics that are vague enough that they could be interpreted in different ways?

    Mind you I am only talking about Christian music here. At what point does music become “Christian music”?

    My thoughts are that “Christian” music needs to praise and worship God, and/or spread the Gospel (Evangelize). Then it could be considered proper Christian music. Otherwise, it may simply be music made by Christians, but not really “Christian music” per se..
    While I don’t see the problem with Christian people just making music, what I really like to see (hear lol) is music with a very straightforward and easily understood BIBLICAL message.

    Your thoughts?

    #38511
    Avatar of Josiah Fingaz
    Josiah Fingaz
    Participant

    David played for Saul. It didn’t say he sang. It just said he played a stringed instrument.

    And another thought. Can music be saved? Is there a salvation plan for music? No. People get saved, people are Christians. There is music that glorifies the Creator (Secular and CCM). The image of God is in every person for God created everyone that way. Some have experienced healing in Jesus some haven’t. That is why you hear music by people who aren’t a Christian (yet) that still honors God.

    #38512
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    @7sound.org wrote:

    Are lyrics necessary to convey the message of Christianity? or can an instrumental only track be considered “Christian”, just because it was made by a Christian??

    I would agree with Josiah that music does not need lyrics to worship God or even bring ministry. Yet, in that point alone it displays the power even instrumental music has on people. David was “a man after God’s heart” so of coarse his music especially glorified God, plus he was very talented. So, as we see an evil spirit is driven by David’s playing of music.

    Now, we see another picture in Exodus when Moses comes from the mountain. The people of God had created an idol and were worshiping it in music and song, Moses said it sounded like war to his ears. So, music is also used for bad.

    What I would like to illustrate here is that, the heart of people determine their music. The people did not obey God and thus created music that sounded like war, it did NOT glorify Him in one bit. But, a man who saught God dillegently, David, brought healing with his music.

    @7sound.org wrote:

    What about lyrics that are vague enough that they could be interpreted in different ways?

    I think lyrics should not be watered down, say what you mean and REALLY mean it. Do not be ashamed of Christ and your love for Him.

    @Josiah Fingaz wrote:

    And another thought. Can music be saved? Is there a salvation plan for music? No. People get saved, people are Christians. There is music that glorifies the Creator (Secular and CCM). The image of God is in every person for God created everyone that way. Some have experienced healing in Jesus some haven’t. That is why you hear music by people who aren’t a Christian (yet) that still honors God.

    Revelation 21:5 Then He who sat on the throne said “Behold, I make ALL things new!”

    Yes, there is a redemption plan for music. In fact, God plans to redeem even the entire creation, including the things in which the people in creation create themselves. Men that do not love God show it through action, so we can see through their lifestyles by hating their own bodies through sin, in which we all were doing before Christ. It is no judgment against fallen men, but it is the truth that a man seperated from God is unable to worship Him in Spirit and truth, that is, if the truth is not in him.

    The Lord bless you with every spiritual blessing bro’s!
    :D

    #38513
    Avatar of Josiah Fingaz
    Josiah Fingaz
    Participant

    Music does not have a salvation experience like a person with a soul and spirit. It does not repent, it does not receive baptism, nor any other sacrament.

    And no offense but I don’t think that scripture says that at all. It does mean all things will be new meaning a new experience for us. If all things are new that would certainly apply to music as well as people. So if Christian music or Christian people are made new by your definition then what were they in the first place if they were Christian?

    I believe this is speaking to a full revelation of God and everything He created. Now that doesn’t mean that music is receiving salvation like you or I do. Music didn’t sin, man did.

    There isn’t a boogie man spirit in a song that was made by a person who isn’t a christian. If that is the case then we shouldn’t even speak with unbelievers because every time they speak a boogie man spirit is going to get you. They may or may not be influenced by a demonic spirit but I still have the choice to act the way I do. Listening to them speak isn’t going to put me under the influence of them unless I accept something false. That is why we test the spirits by the Spirit. If I rightly divide the truth then I either see what is true in God or what is false.

    Let me put it like this. I have watched a science show on TV about the universe. There are moments when I recognize an “opinion” of a scientist that is contrary to God. But there are also facts that are true and I recognize as God having created them. Now I haven’t been decieved by an evil spirit. I recognize what is true and what isn’t. It is really that simple.

    #38514
    Avatar of Josiah Fingaz
    Josiah Fingaz
    Participant

    viewtopic.php?f=51&p=19930#p19268

    Check this out. This is Mark Knight owner of Toolroom Records.

    #38515
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    @Josiah Fingaz wrote:

    And no offense but I don’t think that scripture says that at all. It does mean all things will be new meaning a new experience for us. If all things are new that would certainly apply to music as well as people. So if Christian music or Christian people are made new by your definition then what were they in the first place if they were Christian?

    Actually, if you look at the root words in the greek it does speak to ALL things, not just an “experience”. Also, Christians are made new, look up the redemption of man at the second comming of Christ, paul spoke of it when he said “we only see ourselves in part as through a mirror.” So my definition is this, we are not yet completely new, though we are saved, there is still a final unvieling that Jesus is preparing.

    @Josiah Fingaz wrote:

    There isn’t a boogie man spirit in a song that was made by a person who isn’t a christian. If that is the case then we shouldn’t even speak with unbelievers because every time they speak a boogie man spirit is going to get you. They may or may not be influenced by a demonic spirit but I still have the choice to act the way I do. Listening to them speak isn’t going to put me under the influence of them unless I accept something false. That is why we test the spirits by the Spirit. If I rightly divide the truth then I either see what is true in God or what is false.

    I would disagree with the spiritual implications of of music. When David played over King Saul it was a very spiritual event. There was a evil spirit opressing King Saul and David’s playing relieved him. This is also seen in Exodus when Moses comes from the mount. The people had turned their hearts to an idol, and when Moses heard their music to him it sounded like war. Music here, pointed at an idol, made the sound of a tumult out of control.

    So, yes your “boogy men” or demonic forces are very much involved in music, which is clearly seen in the word.

    And while I agree that while they speak you can divide their speech, are you talking them just to be cool? or are you speaking with them because you want to lead them to Jesus? Seeing as you are a man of firm faith I assume it is to lead them eventually to Christ. But I dissagree with this in context to music, like you said, you cannot lead music to salvation so why listen to it? This is no contradiction, I still believe music is to be redeemed, but why listen to music that you know is made by people that do not love God?

    #38509
    Avatar of 7sound.org
    7sound.org
    Participant

    Thanks for the feedback.
    Remember, these are issues we can debate, but we don’t need to divide over.
    Peace!

    #38510
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    You are right bro. Sorry, it is just such a passionate subject. I will remove my post if you would like.

    #38516
    Avatar of 7sound.org
    7sound.org
    Participant

    No you don’t need to remove your post. Wasn’t trying to say that. No worries.

    You’re right, its a passionate subject..

    #38517
    Avatar of 7sound.org
    7sound.org
    Participant

    1 Samuel 16:23 (NIV) Whenever the spirit from God came on Saul, David would take up his lyre and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him.

    So that’s right, David played a lyre and the evil spirit left Saul. That passage does not say whether David sang or not. It might have been instrumental only.

    It also says that Saul had been informed that the LORD was with David:

    1Samuel 16:17-18 (NIV)
    17 So Saul said to his attendants, “Find someone who plays well and bring him to me.”

    18 One of the servants answered, “I have seen a son of Jesse of Bethlehem who knows how to play the lyre. He is a brave man and a warrior. He speaks well and is a fine-looking man. And the LORD is with him.”

    So that might be significant, Saul heard the music knowing that it came from someone whom the LORD was with.

    So for us today: How will our listeners know that the Lord is with us? If not through lyrics, then how?

    #38518
    Avatar of Josiah Fingaz
    Josiah Fingaz
    Participant

    I was speaking of watching a show on the History Channel like “The Universe”. There are some things they say that are based out of their own assumptions and others that are fact. I’m pretty sure the people creating the show aren’t Christian. I don’t think a demon is behind the show trying to overpower everyone who watches. I think they are some guys trying to figure out how things work. They are searching.

    By your definition, you must think that if something isn’t created by a Christian then it must have a demon behind it. This is not so. You have to give some credit to man. We are not a puppet of the devil or of God. We have a choice. In very rare instances, when someone is possessed, they are under control of an evil spirit. But that is the exception and not the rule. To many people give too much credit to the devil and the demons when it’s mostly mankind who succumbs to the evil desires of the flesh which need to be healed by the blood of Jesus and a life of living for Him through communion and discipline.

    I’m sure it wasn’t because David went around saying, “The Lord is with me”. It was because of the way he lived his life and the testimony of others. When it comes to writing music most of the population needs lyrics to connect so you are better off writing lyrics. But lyrics are not needed in a song for it to be inspirational towards Christ. Art is interpreted in different ways by different people. EDM mirrors classical music (loosely) in some ways.

    Look at these lyrics. viewtopic.php?f=51&p=19930#p19268
    Is Mark Knight a Christian? If he is he isn’t putting it out there. Does that matter? What if he released this song and he isn’t a Christian?

    All I know is that I’m buying this track and will use it to minister to people when I DJ.

    Music may change in the end but it doesn’t conciously sin like us. It is a product of the free will of man. It’s like wine. Some’s just better than others.

    #38519
    Avatar of djdunamis
    djdunamis
    Participant

    “Christian music” has been the catch phrase to describe music with christian lyrics or music written by a christian for years.

    Personally, if it doesn’t have vocals/lyrics to it, music is music, I just call it by the genre it was written in.

    Christians writing just music, is cool with me, God uses both instrumentals and vocal arrangements at the same time. I, myself, produce just music.

    I would say this, especially in EDM world, music can take on moods or tones so guard yourself when selecting and playing tracks. I’ve ran into some that have sexual undertones or can sound demonic.

    “watered down christian lyrics” well if the message they’re conveying is “beating around the bush” on the subject or not being straight forward about their faith, might be a reflection with their own walk. Shouldn’t be ashamed to sing about Christ. I’ve heard stuff like that before and usually throw that in my good music with positive message bin.

    #38520
    Avatar of djdunamis
    djdunamis
    Participant

    @Josiah Fingaz wrote:

    By your definition, you must think that if something isn’t created by a Christian then it must have a demon behind it. This is not so. You have to give some credit to man. We are not a puppet of the devil or of God. We have a choice. In very rare instances, when someone is possessed, they are under control of an evil spirit. But that is the exception and not the rule. To many people give too much credit to the devil and the demons when it’s mostly mankind who succumbs to the evil desires of the flesh which need to be healed by the blood of Jesus and a life of living for Him through communion and discipline.

    I’m sure it wasn’t because David went around saying, “The Lord is with me”. It was because of the way he lived his life and the testimony of others. When it comes to writing music most of the population needs lyrics to connect so you are better off writing lyrics. But lyrics are not needed in a song for it to be inspirational towards Christ. Art is interpreted in different ways by different people. EDM mirrors classical music (loosely) in some ways.

    Look at these lyrics. viewtopic.php?f=51&p=19930#p19268
    Is Mark Knight a Christian? If he is he isn’t putting it out there. Does that matter? What if he released this song and he isn’t a Christian?

    All I know is that I’m buying this track and will use it to minister to people when I DJ.

    Music may change in the end but it doesn’t consciously sin like us. It is a product of the free will of man. It’s like wine. Some’s just better than others.

    Good points.

    I didn’t get to see your link, copied and pasted and didn’t work.

    But reading your post, it does bring these things to mind. I was in a short seminar called God in society or Glimpses of God or something along that point. There’s going to be people looking for something. Humanity is born with the drive to worship and long for something. We as christians must point them to Christ.

    #38521
    Avatar of Josiah Fingaz
    Josiah Fingaz
    Participant

    ^ X2 Dunamis!

    The link is from the “EDM Lyrics” section in the forum. Look under House. Actually about all of them. I don’t think the producers are Christians. That is why the lyrics are posted. To see if it fits with a Christian understanding of Christ and the doctrine of the Apostles.

    I’m amazed at what I hear people crying out from their hearts. Sometimes it seems they have a better understanding of who Christ is than His own people. I think there was a group like that in the days of Jesus too…

    #38522
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    Ok, I want to make something very clear. I LOVE broken people, just as Jesus did. I was a wretched God hating, drug using person before God met me. If it was not for His mercy and grace I would have never have found Him. So, I was a part of those people you speak of.

    I love the broken and poor, they are in need of Christ and have His favor more than anyone else, the orphan and the widow, the poor and the downcast. But they need to know, without a shadow of a doubt, with no undertones or hidden messages, that there is a God that loves them and wants to lift them from their shame and sorrow. Why be ambiguous and hidden with our motives?

    Yes, God can use anything to reach people, even wicked demonic nations in which He personally raised up to discipline Israel. But you are a follower of Jesus, you know the difference, so why use something broken to get a veiled distorted point across?

    I looked at that song Josiah posted and it is very vague and unclear whom the writer is singing to. There is one verse that says “some times I wannaa lift my hand and say ‘Lord, I don’t care.’ but you got the love” This statement is un aimed and he can be singing about a girl for all I know. So in my opinio, bad example. I am sure it is pretty, but did that man write in out of a place of friendship with Jesus? I can’t tell.

    I also love science, yes men are searching, but more often than not they are searching to prove their own agendas, not God. It is only in God’s wisdom that there findings prove God right rather than wrong and disprove that particular man’s theory in one shabang.

    Music is much more than what our society has made it out to be. If His Kingdom is to come than we need to look at one of the most important activities in Heaven, MUSIC. This is what we will be doing for eternity, so how shall we bring that to earth if music is “just” music.

    Blessings! :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.